Wednesday, January 1, 2020

End of the Decade

This morning at CrossFit, before we got started, some people were talking and someone mentioned that this was the last workout of the decade. And I thought back to where I was a decade ago, athletically speaking. I couldn't do a pull up and would never have imagined that that was something that I would be able to do. In 2010, I had a different job, and I'd barely started running, let alone backpacking or CrossFitting.

Athletically speaking, I am improved in every way since a decade ago. I'm stronger and faster and I have more skills. It's been a good ten years, and I'm looking forward to finding out what I'll be able to do in ten more years. Because I don't want to stop. I don't want to turn back. I might always be the slowest person at CrossFit, but I will continue to improve upon myself.

I use CrossFit to help me stay in shape for backpacking. Increasing my strength makes the load of the pack easier to bear. I could feel the difference from the first trip Ambrose and I took on the coast to the second. My core was so much stronger, and it made a significant difference to the way that I navigated across slippery rocks while carrying a 40 pound pack. But CrossFit is also something that I enjoy for itself. The community is great, and I love not knowing exactly what I'll be doing day to day for the workout.

This summer, I plan on doing another coast hike with Ambrose, and a solo hike on the Idaho Centennial Trail to wrap up the section through the Frank Church. We've arranged for me to get a ride up to Dry Saddle on the Magruder Corridor, so we don't have to worry about renting a vehicle better suited to the road than our Focus. I'm going to be focusing on those hikes in my preparation. No Spartan Race this year, because as fun as I find obstacle course races, I prefer backpacking. It's much less crowded, and can be just as challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment