Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Pulling Up

I'm settling back down into a regular pattern of the pull up workout. 3 days a week, increasing weights and decreasing assists. That may or may not be the bigger factor with my recent improvement in volume. I still haven't gotten more than 3 strict pull ups in a row, but I got a set of 3 after a 38 minute workout, and another set of 3 the next day and another the day after that.

And I've done a set of 2 following a set of 3, so that's almost like a set of 5...

I know, not quite there.

Not yet.

But the other factor is my decision to go to Crossfit more often. I figure if I don't have access to a pull up bar at home, then I need to go use the one at Crossfit as often as possible to get at least 1 per day. Plus, there's a new incentive at the box to attend 20 or more classes in a month. Supposedly, there are prizes.

The biggest prize, of course, is increased fitness. I've read that there's a big different between going to Crossfit 2 to 3 days a week and 4 to 5 days a week. Right now, I'm aiming for 6. I made that 2 weeks in a row at the end of December and beginning of January, but then I got a cold and only made 4 last week. I'm comfortably on my way to the Commitment Crew though. I just need to stick to it.

I've encouraged at least two people to participate in the Open this year. Both of them are a bit hesitant, and I can understand that. It looks intimidating. I'll admit, I probably wouldn't do it if they didn't have the scaled workouts, because there's nothing fun about trying to do a muscle up for ten minutes when you simply aren't there yet. But with scaling, everyone can participate and test themselves.

Last year, I didn't finish ahead of very many people worldwide, even with scaling. But I finished ahead of every single person who signed up and didn't finish. I recorded every workout. I finished every workout to the best of my ability, and I hope I have the chance to revisit one or more of those workouts in this year's open. The new workouts are great and all, but getting a PR on an Open workout is something special. A way of signposting your progress, in front of the world, as it were.

That's my goal again this year, to finish every workout in the Open. And maybe, if the circumstances align, to try one Rx instead of scaled.

No comments:

Post a Comment