Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Open Growth

This year is the third year that I've participated in the Crossfit Open. I'm not anywhere near a Regional or Games qualifier; I do it for fun. I like to challenge myself with the workouts and participate in the community event. Also, when there are repeat workouts, it's fun to see how much I have improved over the last year. 

17.4 was 16.4, and I improved significantly from doing 178 reps on the scaled workout to 207. 

And it's a good thing that worked out the way it did, because if I just look at my worldwide rankings then I get depressed. One is supposed to improve every year, but my rank keeps sliding because fitter people keep joining in the Open. At least, that's my theory, because I am improving. After all, last year at this time, I couldn't do a strict pull up. 

But the biggest thing that happened in the Open for me this year was 17.5. 

10 rounds of 9 thrusters and 35 double unders, 95# for men, 65# for women. 

Of course, that's the Rx (as prescribed) version. And I have always done scaled, which was the same rep scheme with lighter weights (65# for men, 45# for women) and single unders instead of doubles. 

There was a part of me that thought, maybe, just maybe, I could do it Rx this time. I can do thrusters at 85 pounds - though not many of them. And I can do double unders - just not with great consistency. 

On Friday morning, I went ahead and did the scaled version as a test. And I passed with flying colors, going unbroken on all my thrusters and finishing in just over 10 minutes. That's when I knew I had to make a go at the Rx - after all, with a 40 minute time cap, there's no way I couldn't finish. 

And even if I didn't finish, there's no penalty. No one's going to come to my house and beat me up because I couldn't finish under the time cap. The important thing was to try. 

So on Saturday, I tried. I went in with a game plan - split the thrusters 3-2-2-2 and split the double unders 10-10-10-5. Keep breathing. 

By the time I was halfway through, my body felt like it was made of lead. I was dripping sweat and breathing like a bellows. I wanted nothing more than to collapse and forget I'd ever had this crazy idea. But somehow my muscles kept working. I was able to drive that weight overhead, again and again. I tripped up on a few doubles, but kept going, kept getting sets close to my 10s. 

I was the last to finish in my heat. The whole gym was cheering for me by the end. At the last round, I pushed hard and went 3-3-3 on the thrusters and tried to go unbroken on the doubles. I made it to 29 before tripping myself up, but it still felt epic. 

My time on that is not at all competitive at just under 27 minutes. But I did it Rx. And I took that chance because of the generous 40 minute time cap. Even a 30 minute time cap might have deterred me from going for it. I think they wanted people like me, on the edge of being able to push just a little harder, to make that try and see how much they (I) could do. 

I really hope we repeat that one next year, because if we repeat any of the others, I'd have to do scaled to compare myself and I'll probably be going Rx. 

No comments:

Post a Comment